Why You should Conduct Pre-Employment Drug Testing
Pre-Employment Drug Testing is one of the most Common Types of Drug Testing in Business
By Bill Nee, VP Sales/Marketing uVera Diagnostics
If you are a business owner or the administrator in charge of hiring, you know how hard it is to find qualified job candidates. It takes a lot of time and effort on your part to post the job opening and then go through the interviewing process. It’s stressful just thinking about it and the time it will take out of your already busy days! Add to that, how many people who apply are actually qualified for the position?
Now let’s add another layer to the process, pre-employment drug screening. You may have found the perfect candidate, but can they pass a drug test? Should you include pre-employment drug screening, and why should it be an important part of your hiring process?
Pre-employment drug testing is one of the most common types of drug testing in business and is an important element in having a Drug-Free Workplace. Some industries legally require drug testing, like transportation workers, teachers, child-care workers, state and federal employees, etc. This is done after a “Conditional Offer of Employment” has been issued. Your drug testing procedures and policies should be performed in accordance with state and federal laws.
One way to weed out potential drug abusers right from the beginning is to state on your job posting that a drug test is part of the application process. In the beginning, this may decrease your overall pool of job candidates, but it will save you time, money and potential liability issues down the road.
Why should Pre-Employment Drug Testing be part of Your Hiring Process?
The answer is simple.
You do not want to hire someone who poses a potential risk to your employees, customers and business safety, and here is why:
- A drug abusing employee can and will be a danger to co-workers. It can be a simple task that leads to a fire from the coffee maker left on overnight, to a more serious task that requires manual labor where the employee or a co-worker is injured.
- Your company data can be compromised. This can happen with inaccurate input or output of data to cyber security threats.
- Because of the cost of drug abuse, you leave your business and employees open to theft. The drug abuser needs money to buy their drugs.
- Your business reputation is at risk. All of your employees, no matter their job position, are a reflection of your company. Do you want your sales representative or customer service person high on drugs while working with your customers?
Maintain a Drug-Free Workplace with New Hires
The importance of drug testing does not stop with hiring new employees. Random drug testing should be conducted because new employees can start abusing drugs after they are hired. Because of this, you will also want to put all new employees on a probation period that includes random drug testing. Again, we advise you to check your state and federal laws for guidelines on all drug testing law and procedures.
Advantages of On-Site Drug Testing
We know that Drug Testing is an added expense to your hiring practice, but it will cost your business more if a drug-abuser is hired or allowed to continue working. Fortunately, there are many ways to conduct drug testing while minimizing the cost, time and disruption to the workplace.
Opting to use on-site or employer testing (also known as point-of-care testing) makes this crucial workforce-management activity convenient, affordable and efficient. Here is why:
- Convenient – the employee doesn’t need to leave the job-site to test
- Simple process with user-friendly tools
- Single urine drug testing kits can cover multiple drugs of abuse, including marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines methamphetamine and opiates
- Saves money with a lower total cost and no lab fees
- Quick results – job applicants and employees can go to work immediately
- Better employee productivity and accuracy on the job
- Less absenteeism and lower turnover
- Potential lower medical costs and worker’s compensation claims
- Increased workplace safety for employees and customers or the public
- Pre-employment drug testing could actually be an issue of life or death
As you see, there are many advantages of conducting drug testing on-site, but keep in mind, you need to use drug testing products from a reputable company with drug tests that are CLIA Waived and/or FDA Cleared or if needed, for forensic use only.
uVera Diagnostics’ Drug Testing Products
Call to order or ask questions about uVera Diagnostics’ Drug Testing Products. 1-866-242-5930
uVera Diagnostics’ Drug Tests are available to purchase online. Click here to see the CR3 drug test cups,All-in-one drug test cups, drug test dip panels, all-in-one drug test cups, and saliva drug tests.
- These tools and test kits screen for drugs or alcohol using samples of urine or saliva.
- Easy-to-use and FDA-compliant drug test kits, many including sample collection cups, test strips, and almost-instant diagnostic tools are now readily available.
- Wholesale pricing and excellent, knowledgeable customer service are on offer from reliable manufacturers/distributors.
Among the latest, most convenient portable drug tests are the 5 Panel All-in-one Urine Drug Test Cup, FDA Cleared & CLIA Waived
This all-in-one cup is an incredibly accurate, integrated drug test cup. Used for the qualitative detection of 5 Drugs of Abuse in human urine. It is fast and easy to read, with test results shown within 5 minutes or less.
This 5 Panel All-in-one Urine Drug Test Cup is ideal for pre-employment, random, and post accident drug testing.
The 5 Panel Drug is a drug tester’s best friend because it will test for the topmost common illegal drugs. It tests for AMP, COC, MET, OPI, THC.
- Free Shipping
- No Minimum Purchase
- Female Friendly (Large Opening)
- Temperature Strip Within Each Cup
- 18 Month Shelf Life
- For urine adulteration, the cup has included adulterants PH, OX, SG.
Interested in workplace drug testing supplies or information? Contact the experts here at uVera Diagnostics. This website is packed with diagnostic screening tools and drug testing details, and we’re always ready to assist you.
For more information on drug testing, click here or call 1-866-242-5930.
Posted by Bill Nee, VP Sales/Marketing uVera Diagnostics and Co-designer and Developer of the CR3 split-sample drug test cup. Bill has 27 years in sales management and marketing and is a 12 year veteran of the drug testing industry. As a parent and co-worker, Bill’s energy is focused on drug testing on every level. Addiction is all around us in alcohol, prescriptions and street drugs, and that is a constant reminder a drug free society starts with each and every one of us.
This information is meant for awareness and education purposes only. Any medical, life saving and legal advice should come from experts. Always consult with your physician about any and all drugs. If it is an emergency, dial 911 or call emergency services.
Photo: Red Drugs image freedigitalphotos.net Mantas Ruzveltas